A substantial contribution is defined as dissertation research that demonstrably adds to the scholarly literature on community college, revises understanding of a researchable problem associated with community college, or looks at an aspect of community college in a new way. The dissertation may also be an interdisciplinary effort that identifies a research problem new to the field. Dissertations utilizing a diversity of methodological approaches are encouraged. Applicants vying for the award do not need to be members of the Bellwether College Consortium, but do need to be enrolled or have recently completed their doctoral program at an accredited four-year university in the United States. 获奖名单将于颁奖典礼上公布 2024 二月举行的社区学院未来大会 27th在德克萨斯州圣安东尼奥市.
The creation of this inaugural dissertation award competition serves as a significant, unique and valuable contribution to community college scholarship. The Community College 期货大会 provides a high-energy venue to amplify research focused on issues central to public two-year colleges. This national recognition at Bellwether’s signature event provides an ideal platform to showcase exemplary research sponsored, featured and disseminated by the Bellwether College Consortium.
The Bellwether 优秀论文奖 is open to graduate students who conducted research for a dissertation study in partial fulfillment of a doctoral degree (i.e. Ed.D. 或Ph值.D.) and whose research focused on community colleges or community college students. All complete and eligible submissions are reviewed by a select panel of esteemed scholars and practitioners with expertise in community college issues. The national panel will exclude any judge associated with the applicant’s doctoral program or institution. The doctoral dissertation must be successfully defended between December 2, 2022, and no later than December 1, 2023. 完整的应用程序和 PDF file of the successful dissertation with all committee member signatures must be received through the 官方发展援助 submission portal no later than December 2, 2023.
奖 & 好处
- Complimentary registration for the 2024 Community College 期货大会, 2月25 - 27日, 2024, 在圣安东尼奥的门格尔酒店, 德州.
- The awardee is formally announced at the 领头羊奖 Ceremony and presented with the Bellwether 优秀论文奖. A brief abstract of the study will be shared and a picture of the award recipient will be shown at the event.
- An exclusive invitation to provide a presentation at the 2023 Community College 期货大会
- Recognition provided on the Bellwether College Consortium website, 在印刷和电子材料, 并通过联盟的社交媒体渠道
申请人必须填写一份 网上提交表格 提供以下信息:
- 论文题目, 成功捍卫日期, 大学及名称, title, and email address of the applicant’s dissertation chair.
- A brief description of the dissertation not exceeding 800 单词. This summarization may be the dissertation abstract or synopsis. It should address each of the judged criteria and will be scored in the first round of the judging process.
- 提供URL 链接到PDF文件 of your successfully defended and accepted version of your dissertation and include the page with all your dissertation committee members’ signatures.
Submissions will be evaluated based on the following criteria.
Criteria for round one is solely a review of the dissertation summary and letter of support:
- 研究的及时性(1).e. 新问题或趋势问题)
- Significance and/or originality of the problem and research questions pertaining to community college
- Overall applicability of the study to community college practice and scholarship
- A score based on the strength of the letter of support is added to the total score for each submission in the first round of the competition
Criteria for round two will consist of an evaluation of the entire dissertation document:
- 研究的及时性(1).e. 新问题或趋势问题)
- Relevant and appropriate use of theory/theories or a theoretical or conceptual framework
- Comprehensiveness and relevance of the literature review
- Detailed rationale and detail of methodology employed, including research design
- Comprehensibility and meaningfulness of the results to community college practice
- Applicability of the study to theory and/or practice to community college
文字准确有力, 批判性分析, and scope and depth of bibliography as related to the research topic
奖公告 & 仪式
The 领头羊奖 recipient will be announced and recognized at the 2024 Community College 期货大会 with a beautiful award for an outstanding dissertation.
The jury of judges will be comprised of representatives including the Alamo Colleges District Board of Trustees, seasoned researchers committed to the study of community college issues, 全国社区学院组织的领导, and respected members of higher education philanthropy.